Saturday, April 5, 2014

Thlipsi

Thlipsi
9 x 12 inch mixed media on canvas paper

Derek Jones has been doing these amazing portrait drawings using charcoal and gesso, so I wanted to give it a go.  I worked with charcoal and gesso for her face, but it just wasn't happening for me., so I added color.

HOW does he do it?  Here's a photo of it when the face was strictly gesso and charcoal.  Perhaps my trouble was the area was too small to work in.

Thlipsi in progress

The colors were inspired by this painting by Gina Brown.  I love the soft color of her recent creamy rose paintings.  Gorgeous.

There is a lot of texture with the crackle paste in her gown and the background and molding paste  in the foreground.  I stamped into the molding paste and then colored the lines and leaves with pencil and ink. I also took the end of my brush and stamped into the crackle paste in the upper portion of her gown.

This painting had a Greek feel to me and she looks sad, so Thlipsi seemed fitting since its meaning is sorrow.

I hope you have a great weekend!  Thank you for your visits and comments as always.

♥ Lisa

19 comments:

  1. I was so inspired by Gina's work recently too! I like this painting a lot!
    I am a fan of Crackle paste...It works wonders = )
    You are so creative, Lisa. I always love viewing your NEW ART!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting process Lisa ~ I love the colors actually ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, who came up with that tulip/sorrow thing? No...I don't accept! haha! All flowers are so happy. Esp yours with your people. Love the experiment with gesso and charcoal. She came out lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really a moving piece. Love her! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking how fitting that name was even before I read what you wrote about it. I think you were right about the small size of your canvas affecting the way different techniques will look. I run into that with my little envelope drawings, too. But Lisa, I'm glad you did the piece in YOUR special style, with your choices of colors and texture. It's magical!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how fun that you tried something new and inspiring to you.
    it is a dear piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She reminds me of someone lost...Love her hair though....xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like her in color, too. She does have a contemplative look about her. Your people always seem to tell a story. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI SWEET FRIEND! so very "textury" and darling they are Lisa. I would just like to mention that I have a much easier time doing charcoal and gesso with larger faces and it's very difficult for me to work on small ones in this way...I hope that helps you out in some way! HOOOOOORAY for trying on new experiences! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. She does look a bit sad.. Makes me want to take a seat by her and find out whats troubling her. Your art has so much depth, I LOVE it.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you Lisa for the mention :) Wonderful painting here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all the comments everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh! charcoal and gesso. Sounds exciting. I will have to give it a try. I love the finished painting but I really love her at the WIP stage too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The use of charcoal and gesso is interesting. I wonder if the gesso could possibly be semi-dry...I also like her use of conte pencil. But yours are so delightful with color. They are filled with emotion and all that is unusual. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  15. She has an expression mixted between sad and thoughtful , great painting again Lisa. And love your new photo !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely lovely Lisa!
    Beautiful effect with the crackle paste, love the colors as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lisa, she is stunning! I see her deep in thought!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and comment!