Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A Family on Summer Vacation

A Family on Summer Vacation
oil on panel 12 x 9 inch

The vintage photo that inspired this piece  was the same photo I used to paint Mother Daughter in Blue, Brown and White.  Initially my attention was drawn to the woman with the girl on her lap, and as I painted I sort of grew attached to the whole group of people, feeling compelled to paint them as well.


detail


 I am assuming they are family, but I am not sure about that because the photo simply says Grandpa at Long Beach.  It must have been a cool day, as they are dressed in coats and hats in the photo.  I always think of southern California as warm and summery place.  Perhaps on the day these folks were there, it was not...thus the long faces.


detail

The color palette was also blue, brown and white (ultramarine blue, burnt umber and titanium white to be exact).  In the mother daughter painting, I used raw umber rather than burnt umber.  The raw umber makes it more green and the burnt umber is much more warm.  

I wanted to keep things loose, not get too fussy with facial details or any detail for that matter.  I wanted visible scratches and interesting lines too.  It came together in the end, but it was challenging  because of the number of people in it.  

the inspiration
1935 photo reading "grandpa at Long Beach"

I feel as if I know them now.  Isn't that strange?

Have a great rest of the week! 

♥ Lisa

29 comments:

  1. Lisa what a wonderful painting and great photo. Your limited palette is just right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen. Limiting the palette so much, has somehow made some things about color sink in my mind. I am happy I did these two paintings.

      Delete
  2. This turned out wonderful Lisa! I've been waiting for your 6 figure painting. I just finished a 3 figure & it was a challenge. Six is quite an accomplishment! Well done! (Love the vintage photography as well:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna. I think anything over two figures can be a challenge. Love what you have been doing lately.

      Delete
  3. Loved seeing the original photo and your interpretation. Perfect color palette for a great painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris. Somehow the limited palette really goes with these black and white photos. I painted really vibrant pieces too using the photos as inspiration, but the lack of color just seems to capture the history in the photo a little better.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed the painting through your eyes. It's cool to have the photo, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail. I almost didn't include the photo in the post, but figured everyone would enjoy seeing it.

      Delete
  5. I love your grouping and I think your pattern of light is better than in the photo. The limited palette worked well on this one. Wow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. It is a little bit easier to capture shadows in the limited palette I think.

      Delete
  6. You must be so pleased with this painting. It is fabulous and full of interest! So wonderful, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CrimsonLeaves. I'm excited to read you see it as full of interest...exactly what I was aiming for!

      Delete
  7. You really captured something with this one. Just goes to show that a photo can be improved upon.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Libby. I don't know if anything could be better than that photo, but painting them sure put an impression of them in my mind. It's like they are MY relatives now. :)

      Delete
  8. This piece is amazing! I love all the details and the limited palette. This piece is special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy. I really think limiting the color helped me to focus on the details a bit more...the marks...the shading. However since this painting, I painted two small colorful pieces and went a little crazy with taking spring photos the other day on my walk. We crave color, don't we? :)

      Delete
  9. I've been looking forward to this one and it was definitely worth the wait. To me, it looks very sunny in the photo but I think that in those days they wore all their finery on a day out whatever the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fuzzie Fingers. I agree...they dressed pretty sharply to visit the beach back then! Hats and all!

      Delete
  10. LOVE this painting, Lisa! The painting has that "vintage" look to it......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilda! I love that you see the vintage in it.

      Delete
  11. great interpretation of a photo Lisa, i love their faces, x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love the feeling you've captured - wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its a fabulous photo and a fabulous piece of art. I too feel I know this sweet family. I adore the way you master a limited palette. Something I struggle doing. The color selection creates a strange mystery about them.. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Morag. I am not sure about mastering the limited palette, but it sure is fun to use. I think it simplifies some things in painting. I don't have to think about color. I can concentrate on values instead.

      Delete
  14. Wonderful! This would be great in a big long painting. I love those colors you chose.
    There is certain mood here in this gathering. I think your got it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why is it that these people look so ill at ease? YOu have captured them well though. xox

    ReplyDelete