Thursday, January 21, 2016

Mother Child Paintings

Look at Daddy
acrylic and ink on paper
4 x 6 inch
available here

This week the theme was mother and child and all of these were inspired by a collection of vintage photos that were kindly gifted to me some time ago.  Painting children is a challenge and these small 4 x 6 inch works made it that much harder because the faces are teeny tiny.   I have found that I try to paint with more detail when I am working with photos vs using my imagination, which is a crazy mission for such a small space.  I won't be doing this too often.


Teddy's Picture
acrylic and ink on paper
4 x 6 inch
available here

I used the same colors for all three works.  It always amazes me how many different colors you can come up with.  Lately I've been mixing 2 yellows, 2 reds, 2 blues, with white, paynes gray, brown, and one or two "fun" colors like a magenta or orange of some sort. I also used titan buff in these.  Titan buff and a bright red make the prettiest pinks by the way.

Cradling Chair
acrylic and ink on paper
4 x 6 inch
available here

Thank you for all the feedback on my Picasso studies in the last post.  See you again soon!  


♥ Lisa

15 comments:

  1. You captured sweetness in each one. How lovely. And such patience to work in that size!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are charming as can be.
    i would think that this much detail in 4x6 would be entirely challenging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is and it strains the eyes. I am not sure why I do this to myself. :)

      Thank you Tammie!

      Delete
  3. Funny about the difference with painting from photos versus painting from imagination. The photo is just so tempting!

    Special, small works! You know I am a fan of the limited palette concept. I think you can get every color that you want:)
    Libby
    PS-and I love titan buff from Golden. A very useful non color color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...non color color" I love that Libby!

      Delete
  4. Sweet and tender paintings , I am quite amazed at how detailed you succeeded in making these small works ! Wishing you a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely theme and I love the colour palette too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like them all. and love the titles.
    You should enter some of the Miniature Shows. Anyone who can get this much details on a such small size is a magician They are wonderful.
    Hope the cabinets turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. The cabinets are still in progress. It will probably be another month before I finish. I am taking my time because the job is HUGE.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful painting and very beautiful colours !!!
    Have a nice and creative week !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These pieces are all so sweet, but also a bit sad. Maybe it's the color combinations, which I love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, these are all so precious! I love the colour and the details! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are wonderful! When painting from tiny photos sometimes I
    scan and enlarge them on my printer. At the same time I can adjust
    the values a bit also. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and comment!