Thursday, May 25, 2017

Mother's Teapot: The Sketch and the Story That Goes With It.





When I was young, I was playing dodge ball with another young family member inside the house. We were playing near my mother's hutch where she kept her collection of pretty things...breakable pretty things like China plates, her large collection of salt and pepper shakers, and a couple of tea pots. And during one of the throws (our "ball" was a waded piece of paper) my playmate backed violently into the hutch causing the whole thing to tip over. The crash was so tremendous, I'm sure my mother thought that someone had died when she heard the noise, which seemed to last forever.

My playmate and I stood there wide-eyed and aghast over what we had done, waiting for my mother to come flying downstairs screaming "what happened!!!!?" which she did. Needless to say, she was very upset. Nearly everything was broken.

As punishment for about a week after school she made me sit at the dining table and glue her broken collection back together. I successfully reconstructed only a few, many were broken beyond repair, and I would forever have to face my guilt every time I looked at salt and pepper shakers without a match.

This teapot was a survivor on that dreadful day, and I keep it in my kitchen, high on a shelf out of harms way. I was thinking about this memory very recently and thought it was time to paint my mother's pretty pot. It was a favorite of mine and I remember handling it often as a young child admiring it, carefully lifting the lid and placing it back again. There was something about the shape and the flowers that drew me and still does.🌿🌼🌱🌿

8 comments:

  1. I adore this and the story. The painting is so sensitivity painted with the flowers and reflections just right.
    I was raised with a "Brown Betty" always full with a tea cosy on to keep it warm. This brought. back memories for me too.
    Have a wonderful week, dear Lisa.

    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, brown, white, or black...no matter the color, all teapots are charming and timeless. I understand why you like to paint them.
      Thank you for your words. Big hugs.

      Delete
  2. Lisa, I can just see your mom making you sit there gluing all those pieces together. It made me laugh and cry at the same time. I'll bet she came up with very appropriate punishments most of the time. The sketch is so lovely and the story so touching. What wonderful memories. -Paulette M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you can, you knew her so well! She was always fair with punishments while I was growing up. Thanks so much for stopping by to comment Paulette.

      Delete
  3. Dear Lisa - I can just imagine how bad you felt regarding all those broken treasures. So glad you shared this story as well as your Mom's teapot. It is gorgeous and I can see why you would want to paint it. Thanks for sharing. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debbie. Yes I felt terrible for quite a long time and I remember thinking as a child that being forced to glue things back together didn't seem like enough punishment. My mother was a soft heart.
      Thanks for commenting Debbie.

      Delete
  4. The things we do, when we are kids! Your mother's punishment was interesting. I thought it was very clever of her. I am so happy you kept your mom's teapot!!! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother was very experienced in child care. She ran a daycare and had six children of her own. I'm happy I kept it too! Thanks Stacy!

      Delete