Saturday, August 16, 2014

Searchers for a Place Called Home

Searchers for a Place Called Home
mixed media on 16 x 20 inch hard hoard
available on Etsy next week

The layers helped me paint this painting.  I caked on the layers with acrylic paint using a palette knife, then brushes, then sponges, then palette knife again and so on.  I kept layering until it looked good to me and little by little the figures appeared...and then the houses.  


detail
 The title came after.  As I was painting the words seeking and finding and searching kept coming...thus the title.  They looked like they were looking for something or someone to me.


detail

It felt so easy...this painting...because the colors were making me so happy from the start.  Often this is not the case...it is usually more of a battle.


detail

It went a little lighter and cooler from the starting place (see it a couple of posts back), but this was necessary to give the whole thing some unity.  I could have warmed it up again, but I just felt like letting it be, signing my name and moving on.  It seemed done as is, though it was one of those pieces where you could just keep going...keep adding...keep changing.  I am so glad I listened to my instincts and stopped.


detail

Because now I can finish my other piece....soon.  But first I must go somewhere special.  

 I will explain later...in about a week.

I love that you stopped by.
See you soon!

19 comments:

  1. Lisa, I LOVE this one! It has something so magical and special about it! The way you described the process only reinforces my initial reaction, of WOW! this is something very precious. The colors are fantastic together, they really create a strong mood, and the poses of the women and the houses beyond.... the story and feelings that it conjures up... it's awesome, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lisa, wonderful. It feels like the houses are part of some imaginary landscape of the spirit and the women are seeking and the foreground landscape they are on is by the sea, don't know why this visual comes to me but it is quite ephemeral and soulful. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. The colors are lovely and subtle, yet effective. I really like the houses and the detail that you put into them.

    Have fun whatever you will be doing. I hope it's an exciting trip or something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just delightful, Lisa. I am so pleased that you are happy with the result. I love the figure in the second photo. It is such a special feeling when a painting speaks to you. The same thing happened to me with my latest piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of your very best...evah!

    I see such a lot of symbolism - very meaningful! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is my new favorite! It has such a nostalgic look. The colors, the figures, the houses all tell the story of longing for a place called home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lisa, this painting is *so fine*! my eyes are smiling away... : )

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. PRETTY, Cool, Sweet and so Interesting to VIEW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Lisa. I love the layers and textures. Nice work:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just love this piece! And I hope wherever you are going is truly special. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is a wonderful piece
    i love looking at it
    i also enjoy the colors very much
    and the title is so perfect and poetic
    wishing you a good time where ever you will be ~

    ReplyDelete
  12. just dropping by to check what’s new and say hello :)
    i love this artwork Lisa; probably my latest favorite. (till the next one!) . xx sandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. The "searchers" look sad, lost. It is that way when we are searching for "home". Peace and home are there...right inside. Did they forget to check there?

    Your stories are so powerful; they add so much to your wonderful paintings and as you can see my comment above, I get pulled into the story with my own.

    ReplyDelete
  14. very beautiful...and evocative --we are all searching :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how I love the layers and colours in this creation! The texture is so beautiful. I too hope you have a wonderful week, and look forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a fun and much-needed trip. So much beautiful color. I'm in love with the painting of the girl and the drippy paint background. So beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this painting!!!! When I am looking at this painting, I am thinking, these girls are all the same people. Her soul is traveling, looking for home. Her soul is split in 3, but soon, she will become one and her soul will be happy ;o) Home is where love is ;o) She is looking for love ;o)
    Big Hugs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I told you, I see a lot in your paintings ;o)

    ReplyDelete