Thursday, December 18, 2014

The Flower Petalers and How the Move Went

The Flower Petalers
mixed media on cradled wood panel 8 x 8 inch
SOLD

Hello friends!  I am back after a chaotic couple of weeks of moving to our new house. I have taken some time to paint, but not too much.  Above is my newest finished piece.

 The move went well for having been settled in the old home for 15 years.  You accumulate a lot of stuff in that amount of time! I should have counted boxes as I am sure the number would have been impressive.  Oh my!  

Anyways, you would probably like to see photos rather than read babble, so here you go...

                               

Above is my favorite picture.  It captures the beauty and some of the character of this old house we now live in.  It was built in 1930 and comes complete with glass doorknobs and drafty window panes.  We absolutely love it. 

                                

My studio is really really great.  I have lots of storage and it even has a sink in it because the previous owner had a manicure business.  The light coming from the north and west windows makes me want to be like a cat and lay on the floor basking in the sun.  

                           

This is the view from my west studio windows.  I think I am going to have to paint every one of those houses at some point.  They are so pretty...and HUGE.  Our house is quite a bit smaller than those.  

                          

This is the best part about our new house...it's in Riverside and there is so much to see in this special area of town.  The river always inspires...

                            

it's a great place to see Christmas lights on foot...



                            

and ooooo and aaaaaahhhh at how they reflect on the water.

                             

And now that we live here I was able to walk less than two blocks the next morning after a beautiful snowfall the night before...

                                 

and see this park blanketed in white...

                                 

and the footprints of the locals...


                              

and chuckle at how the geese just hang out in the streets.  Do you see them?  They are everywhere in this neighborhood.  They cross the streets (and take their sweet time), hang out on lawns, walk up the sidewalks.  They squawk and honk at each other like they are discussing plans for afternoon tea.  


This evening I made pumpkin bread and plopped into this chair to write to you all.  It's the same chair that started my art journey years ago...the one I drew just for the heck of it.  The same funky pillow is there too.  And you may also recognize the painting on the wall, Candela's Light.  

My family said that our furniture looks like it belongs in this house and that my paintings are like I was painting them specifically for this house.  Maybe they are right.  I wonder how long we will be here.  We are told we are only the fifth family to live here, which we found amazing.  The family previous to the family that sold it to us was here 36 years.  I can't imagine staying anywhere for 36 years.  But who knows?

Have a beautiful weekend.

♥ Lisa

33 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunned by the beauty.....the painting is so fine and your style matches with the house and the atmosphere.....enjoyed....best wishes your way...... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sreeja, and thank you so much for your lovely comment. I enjoyed reading the poetry on your lovely blog. Blessings!

      Delete
  2. Lisa your new home looks amazing and your neighborhood feels the same. I do believe your family is right, your painting on the wall looks very much at home! Stunning. Happy holiday and blessings in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jeane. Yes, we are thinking this house knew we were coming. That's if houses know such things. :)

      I wish you the same! Look forward to your art in 2015! xoxo

      Delete
  3. OH I am in love with your new house. I have always lived in old houses, they have such character. That fireplace is beautiful! your new studio is fantastic and you are obviously inpired by your new surroundings as your newest piece is beautiful. Warmest wishes lisa for you and your family for the festive holidays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Morag, and thank you! Now if only our fireplace actually worked. Ha ha! Hard to find a working fireplace in these old parts. But I will take the atmosphere they do bring.

      I wish you a very happy holiday as well!

      Delete
  4. It is a gorgeous house and neighborhood, Lisa! Can't believe you've gotten everything put away and are baking and decorating already too. Your painting reflects a love of home to me, for some reason. A bit of Little Women too...or maybe it is my mood and your lovely thoughts...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's not ALL put away. There are areas....LOL. Thank you for your sweet comment Crimson!

      No thoughts on Little Women in this one, but oh I love that story.

      Delete
  5. Oh those beautiful hardwood floors!!Your house and surroundings look just wonderful. I love your latest painting--great colors!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet! I am going to have to educate myself on how to clean the floors! I've never lived on anything but carpet.

      Delete
  6. I see why you decided to move. All those built in spaces and that arched doorway! Reminds
    me of my old house in San Diego built in the 1930s. The kind of house that wraps around
    you and you sense it's happy you're in it. Can't wait to see paintings from your new world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that..."the kind of house that wraps around you and you sense it's happy you're in it". Beautiful thought Patty. Thank you for your comment. Hugs!

      Delete
  7. It looks and sounds idyllic. I wish you a Merry Christmas Lisa and a very happy future in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Fuzzie, and thank you so much. Merry Christmas to you!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful space to live. Lisa, your art is so unique and inspiring, thank you for sharing. Merry Christmas to you and best wishes for 2015
    http://agagasiniak.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Aga, thank you kindly. I look forwarding to following your wonderful blog in 2015. Blessings!

      Delete
  9. Looks absolutely perfect for you all. I would love to see you baking in the sun like the cat, LOL. Good luck. What a wonderful place and I like what's sitting on the easel. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corrine! And I might just bask in the sun...it's so inviting, especially today after days and days of clouds. Very unusual for Kansas. I will bet you enjoying your cozy new place in Maine this season quite a bit! xoxo

      Delete
  10. Welcome to your new home! The photos are beautiful and the house does seem as if it's just been waiting for your arrival. And the Flower Petalers is gorgeous! Merry Christmas! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Lisa
    Welcome home! What a beautiful, warm, inviting abode. "If walls could talk......" . Looks like you are making great progress in settling in. It's especially nice to see your studio in such good order and a newly completed painting! "The Flower Petalers" is so intriguing.
    Steven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wish these wall could talk Steven. There is a historical society that we plan to contact when we have time to see if we can find out more about our house and the area. Perhaps a series of paintings of people from Riverside past? The studio is put together, but I keep forgetting where I put things and it's taking me quite a bit of time to find items. LOL. I will get oriented soon I am sure.

      Thank you so much for your nice comment.

      Delete
  12. Your new house is absolutely amazing. AMAZING!!!! There is so much character and it has such a feeling a joy and welcome. I think there are happy spirits and little sprites who will join you there. I love your new painting and look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carol. I like the thought of happy spirits!

      Delete
  13. oh GASP at it all sweet cheeks, all! what a wondrous place to live and FEEL! and your latest painting is just to die for. it made me well up in sweet precious tears...there is so much SOUL in your paintings Lisa. you truly have a gift of something much more than many (not to put any one down) you just capture pieces of life that will go on and on for the betterment of anyone appreciating your pieces.
    and lastly, thank you for your feed back on my blog. it always helps in more than one way or another as to thinking; hmm..maybe I am on the right track, hmm maybe not,,,,hmmm...think i'll take some more tracks this way or that...THANK YOU MOST HEARTEDLY.
    I hope you enjoy your new place, it looks like it has so much character...and then the characters living within will change it even more for the better. HAPPY LANDING MY FRIEND, AND MERRY CHRISTMAS with much love to you, wanda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your new home and neighbourhood looks so beautiful Lisa. And what a perfect studio space. I will look forward to seeing all the paintings created there. And yes your beautiful paintings seem to go perfectly with your new surroundings. Merry Christmas and best wishes for 2015

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa, I am so happy for you! What a beautiful area! What a beautiful home! You do look like this home was made for you! I wish you many blessed years there ;o) Your new painting is gorgeous! Merry Christmas and Here's to a Great 2015!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a lovely look at your life! YOU are a real artist! LOVE your blog , and art!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lisa, such a beautiful house that is now a home. You will thrive.Love this painting and can't wait to see more! Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hello Lisa,
    your home looks wonderful
    and your studio, i am jealous
    and river side, that is indeed a special thing
    i am so happy for you
    and wish you dreams come true in your home
    i love how so much of your art has houses in it, or walls, somehow that is special.

    lovely holidays to you and yours
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lisa, your new home is beautiful, i'm sure you gonna be so happy in there. Merry Christmas and happy new year.. hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is the most gorgeous home!!!! Lisa, you live in a storybook, I'm sure of it! And your artwork reflects that same imaginative world... I'm so thrilled for you in your new house, and glad you're getting settled in, and back to your painting soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on your beautiful new old house:) I agree with Katherine that it is a story book house . Wishing you wonderful happy painting years in your new place -- I know you will fill it with love and make it a your home already!

    ReplyDelete