Friday, April 29, 2016

Touch

Touch
oil on canvas
16 x 20 inch

When I first began painting, I painted a work called "Purple Ladies" which was a hideously executed acrylic painting about gossiping.  There were three ladies...one that was talking, the other with her head up to the sky laughing and the one in the middle standing with a look of distaste on her face.  I've always hated it when I hear someone being talked about. It's one thing to speak one on one to a trusted friend about things, but it's quite another to blab in front of a group that may or may not have had the chance to make their own judgments about the person being talked about.  So in my opinion, it's best to just keep the mouth shut.  

So anyways, I decided it was time to cover up my ugly painting and paint something more positive.  Now these ladies have the right idea...compassion.  That is how it should be.  Don't you agree?

frame detail

I had this frame that I believe came from a thrift shop and it worked perfectly.



I took it to Tessera Gallery.  Final Friday is tonight, but this piece is not on display yet because I was too late delivering it there.  Life is keeping me busy...working in the yard, working on the next Finding Faith painting, creating new pieces for the gallery and most exciting of all was our youngest son's master piano recital last weekend.  We traveled to Texas to see him play and WOW.  He has really grown in his music the last two years he has studied at UT Arlington.  We were in tears.  If you are interested in seeing video from his recital click HERE. If you are short of time, you can forward to the last minute and a half or so.

I hope to finish the second Finding Faith painting in a week or so, but until then, here is a another peek.  As you can see, there was a reason for that red flannel shirt.  :)

sneak peek detail of next Finding Faith painting
Have a beautiful weekend everyone!

♥ Lisa

20 comments:

  1. Touch is a simply beautiful painting. It touched me on an emotional level as soon as I saw it. I explores all the wonderful details that you do so well, Lisa. Faces, hair styles, patterns, fence, flowers and birds...let's not forget the birds. They all come together to make a beautiful painting very special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy and love your comments Julie. Thanks friend! And yes...let's not forget our feathered ones. By the way, I put bird feeders outside my studio window and now it's like they are keeping me company all day...along with Hurley and Mitsou. :) xoxo

      Delete
  2. I love this painting and the story behind it. Beautifully changing it into something positive. I agree - it's all the details you put into your work that make it so uniquely yours. Looking forward to the next chapter in Finding Faith - the red shirt is fabulous. I can almost feel the flannel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy. When I first started to paint Touch...my initial thoughts were to just make a bad painting better. As things progressed, the deeper reasons for the change became evident.

      One thing I love about painting flannel (or should I say plaid), is you can be a little more inaccurate than one would think. Every line does not have to be perfect. As long as you paint vertically and horizontally with the same color or value, and vary the widths of the lines, within a few strokes it begins to "read" plaid. That surprised me the first time I painted a plaid curtain.

      Thank you for your nice comment. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hey Lisa! Yes, I agree compassion! Gorgeous painting and the frame looks amazing with it! Congrats to your son and his talent with the piano! Finding Faith looks fantastic! Have a great weekend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sweet Stacy. Thank you on all accounts! I bet you are looking forward to the warmer months in your part of the world. Hugs back!

      Delete
  4. Such a wonderful painting and another demonstration of your painterly storytelling. I particularly like the little dancing pink flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Morag. Flowers are a challenge for me. I keep playing with them to see if I can get some consistency in my style, but with flowers it probably doesn't matter that much. xo

      Delete
  5. A lovely and heartfelt piece. I really like that your sense of rightness regarding gossip came out in your painting-much more positive to see these ladies reaching out to one another. The frame is just perfect!

    Glad that you are busy and enjoying how well your son is going withhis music. Very affirming!

    Enjoy and can't wait to see the new project.
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Libby! Thank you. I was really surprised about the frame. You never know how well those bargains will work, but they do eventually! Happy weekend to you.

      Delete
  6. Definitely a beautiful painting. I would love to see the two contrasting themes side by side though. I do hope you took a photo of the old painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carol, and thank you very much. Yes, I do have a photo of the old painting, but it is really really bad and I just did not want to show it. Too embarrassed I guess! Their eyes were as big as fists and their heads were like having the equivalent of two beach balls on their shoulders. Thanks so much for your comment and have a good weekend!

      Delete
  7. Such a beautiful painting and I love the title. How proud you must be listening to your son play the piano!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilda. Thank you! Yes, a proud moment indeed for us and for our son. Have a good weekend! I hope you are all mended!

      Delete
  8. What a gift your son has! Beautiful piece and impassioned performance! I love the"touch" painting. The message comes through poignantly. Your art is uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carol. It has been a true joy to see his gift blossom over the years. And I am so glad you find my painting uplifting. That tells me I have succeeded on some level. Thanks for your visit and comment!

      Delete
  9. Very wonderful and interesting art work !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lisa,
    Great idea changing the painting into a positive message. It's now more reflective of who you are, both as an artist and person.
    I thoroughly enjoyed watching KC's Master Recital, too. He's tremendously talented and your pride in his accomplishments is certainly justified.
    Have a wonderful day in the studio or the garden!
    Sincerely,
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice of you Gary, thank you. So glad you enjoyed watching the recital. He worked hard on putting his good audio recording to the video t his weekend and the sound is much improved now. He has the good copy on his channel if you want to listen while you paint or something. Thanks for the commen and have a great week!
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyrfNfkZ3Z4Z0C1ZRySTy4w

      Delete