Monday, February 25, 2019

Great Grandma's Kitchen and Around Here Lately


Great Grandma's Kitchen
oil on panel 16 x 20 inch
available here


A while back I painted an image in my sketchbook of my great grandmother's kitchen from memory.  All I really remember is that there was this very bright red and white checkered floor that felt like you were stepping into some sort of candy land or something.  I also remember there was a dark back room where there was a bed and coat rack that always had a hat on it and it scared me enough that I never went into that room.  My older siblings said that my memory was pretty close to the real thing so I decided to do an actual painting of it.  I did not make the back room a scary one though.


Gabriel's

Yesterday was my birthday and Vic surprised me with a dinner reservation at the most romantic and quiet restaurant I have ever been to.  It is called Gabriel's and it is only a 15 minute drive to the small town of Sedalia, Colorado.  The food was amazing.


Chandin's cows

A couple of weeks ago I went back to Kansas to watch over my grandson for a week while his mom traveled.  I took him with me on a photo shoot with one of my friends and loaned him my little Powershot camera.  My friend and I like to roam around in her truck looking for interesting things to photograph, hopping in and out each time we see something.  After giving my grandson a quick lesson on the rule of thirds, finding interesting subjects, and paying attention to light, we meandered along backroads all the way to Douglas, Kansas.  He really got some great shots.  Once we got home he picked his favorites and edited them after I showed him how to use a simple program on my laptop.  He is only ten years old and is very artistic.  I asked him if he enjoyed photography and his reply made me laugh:  "yeah, but it really isn't my thing".  He prefers to draw marvel characters.  :)

I love this kid.  He was a trooper for going along and joining in the fun.

Chandin's woods
Chandin's closeup  of growth near the river
(his favorite)

Here are a few of  the photos that I took.  It was a very cold day.





Until next time!
♥ Lisa

4 comments:

  1. I love your great grandmas kitchen! That floor!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet, and thank you! So glad you like the floor because that is exactly what I wanted the painting to be about. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. i relate to the strange feelings some memory places come wrapped in.
    The dark room, tho, does have that cheerful floor and a door for escape.
    Your paintings of interiors bring an inside story and I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patty! I like that, the door as an escape route, just in case. :)
      Thank you so much for your feedback. xoxo

      Delete