Monday, December 14, 2020

Portrait Paintings and Staying Inspired With The Artist"s Way

Portrait of a Woman Wearing Green
oil on linen 8x10 inch
available here

 Inspired by some old photographs, these paintings were created.  Except for the last one, my goal was to keep it more contemporary with only a hint of the past.  Did I succeed?  I don't know.  I honestly cannot judge my own art.  


Portrait of a Woman in Autumn
oil on linen 8x10 inch
(sold)



Portrait by Dabbs
oil on linen panel 5x7 inch
(sold)

In portrait by Dabbs, the title was inspired by the stamp on the back of the photograph.  It led me down an interesting rabbit hole and leaving the painting with a very dated feel seemed appropriate after my investigation.  The stamp was the photographer's logo: Dabbs, 174 Liberty Street, Pittsburgh, PA. According to Historic Camera's website, Dabbs was a studio run by an Englishman by the name of Benjamin Lomax Horsley Dabbs from 1876-1897 until it was destroyed by fire. Dabbs did a famous portrait of Andrew Carnegie which is displayed at Pittsburgh's Carnegie Museum of Art. Dabbs was also said to be a close friend of Abraham Lincoln.
Dabbs mostly photographed businessmen, doctors and lawyers.  I find this kind of information so fascinating.



I am on week two of this book.  It has really kept me inspired and made me think about some new concepts regarding creativity.  Her ideas can be applied to just about any kind of job, not just the arts.  It is full of ideas to get your creative mind flowing. Two things she recommends throughout the course of the book is to do what she calls "morning pages" and to go on an "artist date" every week.  The artist date is where you go somewhere or do something by yourself in order to get inspired.  It is all about taking in.  It could be a museum, or just for a drive out in the country, or in the city if you live in the country. Anything really.  I have to say the artist date cheers me up while in the middle of this pandemic.  It has given me something to look forward to.  My first artist date was a drive in the Kansas countryside.  I came home feeling relaxed and very inspired.  I cannot explain why.  The trick I think, is to make sure you do something you really enjoy.  I love shooting photos, so I took my camera and made stops where ever I felt led.




I just thought I would share this with you in case you are looking for something to do with the winter months ahead.  


Until next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment