Thursday, February 16, 2023

This Painting is Finally Home

Cafe in Tribeca 
2015


If you have followed my art for a while, you may remember this painting from 2015. It was painted back in the day when I was at Tessera Gallery here in Wichita. It was inspired by a visit to New York City and a cafe there in the Tribeca area. The figure sitting at the window to the left is a nod to one of my favorite Edward Hopper paintings called Chop Suey. This painting has been all over the place from the gallery here, back to my studio, then to Colorado while I lived there where it was in a show in Colorado Springs and in then in the background photo of an interview  I did with Colorado Homes. We were smack dab in the middle of moving back to Kansas when that interview was done, boxes everywhere and the pandemic was in the beginnings.  The painting traveled with me back to Kansas, went on a long term loan with someone I trusted to keep it, and then back to my studio to be listed once again on Etsy. I often paint over paintings this old and this one did have a retouch on the waitress at one point.  Her neck and posture bothered me, so I repainted the whole head and face. Anyways this painting is finally home, purchased by a long time collector and it's back in Colorado.  I am so so happy and grateful for this because it was always one of my favorites.  

No comments:

Post a Comment